Weekly Challenge 12 of 61: Stock the Crock Challenge: Make One Slow-Cooker Crock Pot or Instant Pot Pressure Cooker Meal this week
Reasons to use a slow-cooker or pressure cooker:
- If you typically only cook for 1 person, then you’ll have leftovers for day.
- If you cook for a family, you’ll get a whole meal out of your slow-cooker or pressure-cooker efforts.
- Your home will smell wonderful when you cook something in one of the pots.
- Typically, prep and recipes for the slow cooker or instant pot can be simpler than other types of recipes.
- Healthier cooking is a great option with one of these cooking pots, so why not make a meal in one?
- If you own both of these gadgets, then use both at the same time and get double the food for a similar amount of prep.
- A pressure-cooker can double as a slow-cooker, so you can use it for either type of recipe.
- Many slow-cooker recipes can be made in a pressure-cooker, so do an internet search for a pressure-cooker version of your favorite slow cooker recipe.
- Clean up is usually quicker as everything is in one pot.
What are my current gadgets? I am listing a link below (and I do not get commission, just posting so you can see exactly what I use at home.)
I truly love my Instant Pot 6 Quart with a digital screen because I can see the progress of it heating up (and I love the 10 different pre-set functions). I have purchased a variety of accessories over the past year of use that enhance and increase my use of the versatile gadget. I originally purchased mine on Amazon.com, but they are sold everywhere.
- Instant Pot Leftover Lid I ordered on Amazon.com
- Instant Pot Magnet that I keep on my own pot as a quick reminder (the one I ordered is no longer available, but here is a link to what is on Amazon)
- Instant Pot Extra seals
- Instant Pot Non-Stick Inner Cooking Pot
I have a large capacity slow cooker because we are a family of five. I also use it as a warmer for entertaining or large family gatherings. The best part of my crock pot is that I can do a little prep in the cooking pot on my stove first. It is a nice option….not necessary, but a nicety. My pot was bought at Williams-Sonoma: The All-Clad Gourmet Slow Cooker 7qt.
One of my favorite Instant Pot & Slow Cooker Recipes comes from Skinnytaste.com: Spaghetti Squash and Meat Sauce.
I vary how I make the meat sauce and do not always make the spaghetti sauce, but it is a great recipe to make your own. I frequently make chili in my instant pot or crock pot as well. I made a post a while back about this very recipe and I still make it on a regular basis. Click here for the link to my post about Instant Pot Happiness.
Which do I like more? Well, depends on what my schedule looks like, but I probably use the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker more often. It is smaller than my crock pot, so if I need a larger batch, I use the crock pot…but if I had owned the Instant Pot first, I may not have purchased a crock pot at all (since the Instant Pot can be used as a slow cooker).
Last year, I updated my personal favorite Stove-Top chili recipe to include directions for the Instant Pot. Click here for that link to my post.
I love a good gadget and this week, I challenge you to make a new recipe or even dust off an old recipe in your slow cooker or pressure cooker. Get to it!